Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Workout Woes

I'm alive! I survived what I think was one of the longest running cold's in my history. I swear I wasn't sure when I would feel better but I can finally breathe and have stopped hacking up my lungs.

Saturday I ran 6 miles but stopped every mile to either cough or drink water. It has been super hot in the gym lately, not sure why they can't crank up the air, I mean we live in the South. It was almost 90 yesterday.

Sunday I threw a baby shower for my friend Pam and didn't have a chance to run. I was up at the wee hours prepping food for the shower and by the time it was over and I was home I was pooped. I think I even fell asleep on the couch at like 8:00.

Monday I woke up and was thinking about going to the gym but as I was thinking about it I fell back asleep. Damn.

Which brings me to today's events.

I didn't want to wake up, but I did. I literally dragged myself out of bed this morning, got ready and drove to the gym, feeling pretty proud that I'm going to get there at 4:30. As I pulled up to the parking lot I noticed that there were only like 3 cars in the parking lot. There are typically more. That's cool,   I don't mind being the only person there.

I walk up to the door and gave it a little pull and.......locked! What? The lights are on, music is playing, what is going on?

Then I see the morning guy standing on the other side on the building. So I go over and state the obvious, the doors are locked. He tells me that they changed the locks and they didn't give him the new key. So he's called someone to bring the new key but isn't sure when they will get here. Huh.

So I wait in my car.

And I wait.

And wait.

At about 5:00 people really start showing up, most who do the cycle class at 5:30. All are dumbfounded as to why the doors are locked. Join the club, I've been waiting 30 minutes.

I tell myself I can wait till 5:30 and then by that time I have to head home and get ready for work, still optimistic that someone will show up and let us all in.

5:15. Nothing. But I did have a nice chat with someone named Cedric who shared the same frustrations. Getting out of bed, this being the only time you can workout, wasting the gas to drive over here and it not being open, why can't they turn on the air, why are the lights and music on, we pay for the gym to be open and there's really no excuse for it not being open. You know, those types of things.

Of course I could always just go run on the road but I just don't feel comfortable doing that in the dark. Call me paranoid but I read way too many news stories and I'm just not that hard core.

Cedric leaves and I wait another 10 minutes, watching two guys try to jimmy the locks and "break" in. It didn't work but I personally appreciate their effort. By this time there are about 15 people waiting and looking rather peeved, especially the cycle instructor who's class was suppose to start 10 minutes ago.

5:40 realization has set in that it's just not going to happen. Bummed.

When I got home I do a quick workout, and I do mean quick. 15 minutes but still managed a small sweat. If you want to good oblique workout try this:


Just to note I use a 5 pound dumbbell for the russian twists and 25 lb. for the side bends.

I also did some quick squats, lunges, lower abs and push ups.

Not what I wanted to accomplish but something is better than nothing right? I'm going to try to run this evening but to be honest I'm super tired when I get home from work and sitting in traffic but who knows, wierder things have happened.

As I was driving to work I was still sort of fuming about this morning so I decided to call and complain. I never complain so this was something new for me.

Reason I don't like to complain is because I've been in customer service before and have been on the receiving end of those complaints. There are some angry people in this world.

When I got to work I called and spoke to a nice lady who tried her best to explain what happened but it sort of was getting me riled up so she told me the manager was busy and would call me back (yeah right).

In the meantime I called another gym that just opened up in my town, they are smaller but open 24 hours. You scan your key card and it unlocks the doors. Additional pro's it's new, clean, and equipment is new. Con, it's small and have barely any group fitness classes. Their rates are actually about what we currently pay so the only thing we would come out of pocket for is the enrollment fee. It's a 2 year contract but you go month to month after that (which is what we have now, we are month to month and can cancel at will).

So I think we're going to check this gym out. Ricky is a big weights guy so we have to factor in that for him. I'm all about the 24 hours.

And actually the manager did call me back! I was surprised. He explained that they had the locks changed late yesterday due to some turn over and the morning guy never got the new key. This I understand but as I explained to the manager, the morning guy was there with the wrong key and was trying to call someone to come open. Why would it take someone almost 2 hours to answer their phone and get over there? He only offered that they person's phone was on vibrate and he didn't hear it ring. Whether that's true or not, Mr. Manager assured me that this won't be happening again and they are making some changes that will benefit the members. Time will tell on that.

I did bring up the air conditioning issue and he said that they are aware and working on getting it serviced before it gets really hot. I hate to remind him that we skipped Winter and have gone straight to Summer.

I'm not sure if we'll stay or go to the new gym but I do know that now I have to get up again tomorrow morning and I've been 3 days without running and have a half marathon next weekend. That will be interesting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...