Friday, January 6, 2012

The Countdown Begins

T minus 8 days until the marathon.



Holy cow, I can't believe it's really almost here. Tomorrow is my last long run before the race and I'm planning to do between 8 and 10 miles.

The taper thing is scary to me. I understand it and I realize it's important but still scary. I feel like I should run more tomorrow but I'm afraid I'll be tired next Saturday and my body won't be very recovered.

So I'm sticking with my plan and trusting in my training.

Next Friday I am taking the day off to take it easy. My parents and sister are coming into town Friday evening and then my brother and sister in law are driving down for the day on Saturday. I have spectators!! Very exciting. The plan is for my hubby to drop me off at the start and cheer me on. Then he's going to head up and camp out at the 20 mile mark and hopefully that's where my family will meet him. Then I think they are going to high tail it over to the finish line.

What really is special to me is that my daughter will be there. I can't wait for her to see her mommy crossing the finish line. I hope when she's older she looks back at that picture with me and gets inspired...for anything. I don't care what she does as long as she's inspired.

I really want that medal:



Even though I'm nervous and starting to have performance anxiety, I really can't wait to participate and say that I've run a freaking marathon!

Depending on how the race goes this may be the only one I run. Only for the fact that training is time consuming! And I only had one child. Next year I might have two!! I know it can be done but I really stretched myself thin this year trying to do everything.

I mean tomorrow after my run I'm re-painting my kitchen. Why? Because it needs it. We just got new countertops and the current color doesn't go. And I'm semi OCD and cannot have mix matched colors when company comes. Even if company is family.

As much as I've enjoyed this training, pushed myself, cried :), and changed my body, I'm looking forward to running for the fun of it and not because I have to.

However, I just signed up for another half marathon on February 4th. The Save the Light Half Marathon. That gives me about a week to rest and recover and then another week to get back into it, with one long run. I'm not really doing this for time (or so I tell myself) but because it's on Folly Beach, it's scenic, it raises money for the Morris Island Light House that is close to being washed out to sea. Plus they have a cool t-shirt, and they are giving out medals this year. It's kind of a no frills race. But sometimes those are the best ones.



The REAL reason is after this race I hope to get pregnant so I just want one more race under my belt before I take the plunge.

However there are several 5 and 10K's in the spring :)

Just. Can't. Stop.

Actually there is a blog I read often, Mile Posts, and Dorothy ran throughout all her pregnancies so there is a lot of good information out there. As long as my doctor says it's ok an I'm feeling good I'm going continue. I exercised throughout my entire pregnancy with Sophie (well that is until my feet wouldn't fit in my shoes anymore) and I think it has fantastic benefits so I'm doing it again this time around.

So far 2012 is going great! It's been cold here the last few days and I'm ready for Spring!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...