Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Own Thoughts About Running

A few people here and there really can't understand why I like to run, what motivates me to run, how I can run 10 miles, or why I signed up for a half marathon. The one I get the most is how in the heck I can get up at 4:00 am to go to the gym.

First I just want to clarify that I am not the world's best runner nor do I want to be. Honestly I have never really enjoyed running (until now). 

I have run in the occasional race since I've lived in Charleston. But since Sophie was born this was my own personal mission to lose the baby weight and get back into shape....fast! Let me tell you it's worked. It was very hard to get running at first, mainly because I was breastfeeding and my boobs were as big as melons (sorry but they were). When that was all said and done I really buckled down. What really helped was seeing the scale numbers go down!

I like (or don't like) to looks at pictures of me right after I had Sophie. I gained like 45 pounds and my face got so fat!! I feel a sense of accomplishment that I've been able to shed the weight and get fit. I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant. Gaining that weight really put things into perspective. I can't eat whatever I want to anymore and when it's time for baby no. 2  I hope to do things differently and not gain as much weight. Although a lot of what I gained the last few months was water weight. I swelled so bad!!

1 week after Sophie was born, June 2009. I probably weighed about 150 or so

September 2010 - weight 120
Secondly I like seeing my time improve after each race. Whether it's a 5k or 10k I want to beat my time each time I run so that requires more running with speed intervals and running at a faster pace. Treadmill is good for this because I know what my pace time is, but I like running on the road better. Like I said I'm far from the best runner in the world but I like to be competitive with myself. 

Music is the next thing that keeps my going. If I have no music I don't run! I don't know how people can keep the focus without music but this is one of the ONLY ways I personally can stay focused and forget about the mileage. I would get so bored!! Especially on the treadmill! I like a lot of alternative rock, won't find any rap on my iPod, just not my thing.

How in the world do I manage to go to the gym at 4 in the morning? Well let me just say I don't do this every morning, 3 days a week is average and it's really not that hard. Easy for me to say but I'm used to doing it. The hardest part is getting out of bed. I LOVE working out in the morning. 

1- it's not that crowded so I can do anything that I need to do
2 - it truly does give me more energy throughout the day. Although I admit I go to bed early. 

Training for the half marathon was something I set out to do this year turning 30 and all. I'm in the best shape I've been in a while. It's been a difficult challenge doing this and having a toddler, working. Sophie gets sick and it sets me back a little, life happens, I get sick, etc. I hope I like running it because I plan on doing another one in January. 

After my 10 mile run this past weekend I feel more confident than I did a month ago so that's progress. Not sure if a Marathon is in my future but I'm not ruling it out. If I can make it 13.1 who's to say I can't do 26.2. Hmmm.... then again do I even want to do 26.2? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...