Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Recent Race and Today's Run

Saturday I ran the Save the Light Half Marathon on Folly Beach, SC. It's considered a "no frills" race. They don't use timing chips, you tear of the bottom of your race bib when you cross the finish line, the amount of people running is pretty small. There just aren't a whole lot of extras.

To me that's OK because it's for a good cause and the scenery was pretty. Can't beat views of the ocean.

Two good friends of mine are trying to break into the running thing and wanted to do the 5k race. So we decided to get a room at the Tides Folly Beach Oceanfront Hotel.





They had a special rate for one or two nights so we decided to stay Friday night and wake up and be right at the starting line for the race.

(Rate for one night was $122, split 3 ways, about $41 a person. Not bad).

I admit I was worried that it would turn into a booze fest, three mommas away from their hubbies and kids. But to my amazement I was the last one asleep and that was at 9:30.

However there was the loud obnoxious drunk girl a few doors down talking on her phone, speaker phone, at 12:30 am and then I had trouble sleeping the rest of the night.

When we woke up it was warm, like 57 degrees warm. I don't like being hot when I run because I tend to dehydrate so easily and the heat just seems to zap my energy so I was getting a little nervous that it wasn't as cool as I thought it was going to be. Luckily I brought shorts and a tank so I was not overdressed.

Even though it was cloudy there was still a beautiful sunrise.





We walked all of 1 minute to the starting line waited about 10 minutes and then it was time for the race! Can't beat that.

Killing time:

Making fun of my fuel belt - Gatorade on one side and water/Nuun on the other.

Me (center) and the girls (Jill and Rachael)

Jill sporting her old school headphones.

Overall the race went well. I didn't expect a PR and it didn't happen. My legs felt sluggish and tired after 3 miles, and that's about when I was drenched with sweat and the sun came out.

For some reason the race felt long, maybe that's because we ran some of the same loops twice.

My Garmin time was 2:03:51, avg pace 9:28.

Not too shabby seeing as how the marathon was only 3 weeks ago and my legs have felt funky ever since.I am happy.

I took Sunday off to paint Sophie's soon to be "big girl" room, which took way longer than I anticipated so there was no time to go to the gym or running because then we went straight to a friends house to watch the Super Bowl.

I took Monday off because I was too darn tired from painting the day before and staying up late watching the Super Bowl to make it to the gym.

I made it up this morning and had a fantastic run so those 2 days must have done me some good. I'm trying to get my "speed" back because the last month or so I've felt very slow. Strong but slow.

Warmed up slow and then up'd my speed every mile. So I did 5 miles, avg pace about 8:26. I didn't have any leg or foot pain so I'm calling it a successful run! After the run I did circuit training.

I know I've talked a lot about trying for baby no. 2 after the marathon but it did not happen last month and that's because we weren't really trying. So it's a go this month!

I plan on running a 10k in March so even if I do wind up pregnant I will be very early on so I don't see it as a problem. Although I want to run fast so we'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...