Monday, August 29, 2011

Marathon Training Week 1 Review

First week of training started out a little crazy. With the up and coming hurricane that never really did anything to our area, I was a little stressed about getting my 8 mile long run complete.

It all worked out and I panicked for no reason (I do that a lot).

Day 1
Rest day. Monday's will be rest days 98% of the time. This is perfect because I always have such a difficult time waking up on Mondays. In the event that I can't do one of my runs during the week, these will be re-arranged on an "as needed" basis (sounding rather corporate).

Day 2
3.26 miles, 26:56, avg pace 8:15
Treadmill run at the gym in the wee hours of the morning. Did some weights as well.

Day 3
5.4 miles, 43:25, avg pace 8:02
Treadmill run at the gym. Abs.

Day 4
This ended up being a rest day because my husband had to leave for work at 5 a.m. so there wasn't any time to make it to the gym to run. Where we live I would never run in the dark by myself. Not that we live in a bad area but I am of the firm belief that a woman should not be by herself, alone, in the dark, in the middle of the night. Call me paranoid, I don't care. You just never know what crazies or wild animals are lurking.

I did run 4 miles on that Sunday on the beach so I was fine with missing this day.

Day 5
Rest day. Friday's are supposed to be another rest but again, I might throw in an additional run here or there depending on what my long run is supposed to be. Plus the hurricane was coming so I slept in a little.

Day 6
Saturday was supposed to be my long run but since my husband was on call we had to postpone it till Sunday. Which was great because Sunday morning was a little cooler. On Saturday I ended up doing some cross training on the elliptical and some weights. I did do 2 miles in my new Brooks to break them in a little.

8.03 miles, 1:16:00, avg pace 9:31

Oh how I've missed running on the road! So much better than the treadmill, although I guess I'm slower on the road, which is fine. I'm following the rule of slower long runs but for some reason I feel like I'm going faster than what I really am. I guess that's the only good thing about the treadmill.

This was also the first time using my Garmin and I love it! I still have to read the manual and get it set up correctly, for example, it didn't show my splits and I later found out I have to have it on Auto Lap.


I wore my new Brooks Ravenna shoes on this long run and I really like them. They do run smaller so I'm really glad I ordered a half size up. The toe box is kind of narrow so when I ran with them on the treadmill my feet were numb and tingling. I made sure I did not tie them as tight for my long run and that really seemed to help.

So it'll be Saucony's for short runs and Brooks for long runs.


Today starts week 2 and since it's Monday it's a rest day. My legs feel pretty good overall, a little sore but that's to be expected.

I plan to register for the race this Thursday after payday. I still get very excited and then very nervous when I think about it.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...