Thursday, September 8, 2011

How am I going to Fuel?

This morning's run went very well. I got out of bed and made to the gym in time to run my 5 miles and do just a little bit of weights.

I always set my clothes and shoes out the night before so that way when I get out of bed I go downstairs to the powder room and get ready, brush my teeth and all that so I don't wake anyone up. Although my dog that sleeps on the floor always wags her tail when I get up and I give her a little pat pat.

This morning I heard my daughter start to cry as I was changing. I was about to go upstairs to get her back to sleep when I heard my husband stumble in there. I felt bad for a minute that he got up and I was already up but selfishly I didn't want to miss my run. Is that bad? She prefers Daddy in the middle of the night anyway. At least that's what I'm telling myself. He said she went back to sleep pretty fast so I don't feel too bad.

So this morning I did 5.02 on the treadmill at the gym 41:18, avg pace 8:13
Splits:

MILETIMEAVG.PACE
18:328'32"/mi
216:388'06"/mi
324:578'19"/mi
432:537'56"/mi
541:088'15"/mi


To make my treadmill run less mundane I did the first mile slow then I bumped it up for the 2nd mile, a little slower for the 3rd and the faster for the 4th. For the 5th mile I alternated between slow and fast every quarter mile.

This really helped pass the time. Like I said before I'm a little sick of the treadmill and it's been so cool in the morning I hate that I can't run outside. Lone girl out in the dark running alone just isn't a good idea these days.

One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is how am I planning on fueling during my long runs? This is becoming the one thing that I'm truly nervous about. I've tried Gu, HATED it. I don't want to throw up while I'm running and this stuff makes me gag big time. So I'm thinking any kind of gel is out of the question.

Shot Bloks are OK but they are huge to get one all the way in your mouth and the texture is a little funky so I'm not sure this is something I'll be able to "eat" while running.

I've read where people eat candy? Like Jelly Beans and Swedish Fish? Not sure what purpose that serves other than giving you a huge sugar rush but again, this part of running is very new to me.

There are a few things I want to try:

Power Bar Energy Blasts

Nutrilite Endurance Cubes

Sharkies

Since I'm fairly new with this whole endurance running thing I'm not really sure what I should be doing as far as fuel goes.

I usually drink Gatorade and water while running and have recently tried Nuun (which I like a lot). Gatorade has so much sugar and it's good for shorter runs but I don't think I want that much sugar for longer runs for fear that it'll upset my stomach.

My very first half marathon I did not drink anything! Not water or Gatorade. This was dumb and I admit I had no idea what I was doing. Never did I get thirsty since it was 40 degrees and rainy but I was struggling towards the end.

My second half marathon I alternated water and Gatorade only the last 3 miles at the water stations. Better but at the end of that race my legs were cramping so bad because I'm sure I was dehydrated and those hills kicked my butt. However I felt good overall.

Maybe I would have done better had I really understood keeping hydrated and my energy up? Who knows.

So the real question I have for myself is what's going to work for me now, for this marathon, and help me get over the finish line without getting sick or passing out.

If runner happens to read this post, please tell me what do you do for hydration and fuel? Any suggestions? Would love to hear them!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...