Sunday, October 23, 2011

On Cloud Nine

This morning I ran the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon in Myrlte Beach, SC.

I am on cloud nine.

I PR'd.

I'm so happy with my time.

I mentioned the other day as long as I beat my previous time of 2 hours and 7 minutes I'd be happy. I was secretly hoping to break 2 hours.

This morning, as we were driving to the start, my husband jokingly said that if I didn't finish in 1 hour and 58 minutes he'd leave without me. Ha ha, funny guy but in my mind I'm thinking that would be awesome if I could finish in that time. Heck, I wanted 1 hour 59 minutes.

It was chilly morning but I handed off my fleece to my hubby and got in the corral with a slew of people (I hate crowds so this made me nervous, just being right up next to random people). The Medieval Times actors put on a little presentation while we were waiting for the gun to go off. Then they rode out ahead of the leaders, when the gun went off, which was kind of neat.


Mile 1 - 9:19 (a little crowded starting out but happy with this starting pace)
Mile 2 - 9:02
Mile 3 - 9:08


There I am, the short one in black shorts and pink top
 Mile 4 - 9:11
Mile 5 - 9:21 (decided to eat a few of my Power Bar Energy Blasts)
Mile 6 - 9:07

At mile 6 we were running through Broadway at the Beach, which has Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, shops, etc.

Mile 7 - 9:04
Mile 8 - 9:04
Mile 9 - 8:46 (getting faster! I think I ate another engery blast here but I can't remember).

From this moment on I was out of the 9's and into the 8's and I can't believe how good I felt!

Mile 10 - 8:41
Mile 11 - 8:29 (At this point I realized that I was going to be pretty close to beating 2 hours and just told myself to hold on!)
Mile 12 - 8:37

Saw my husband in the crowd sometime after mile 12 giving me a thumbs up. From this moment on all facial expressions are those of pain but I was still feeling good overall and happy inside.



Mile 13 - 8:38 and DONE!!




Best feeling in the world crossing the finish line.....



In under 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garmin:
1:58:08
13.20
Avg pace 8:57

Chip Time:
1:58 :06
13.1
Avg pace 9:01

That's one big medal!
I feel amazing right now. I wanted to break 2 hours so bad and I did it! I always say I'm not the fastest runner but I can hold my own.

Not only did I do it, I felt strong pretty much the entire run. Sure I started getting tired towards the end and wanted to slow down but the whole race I stayed pretty consistent and turned it up at the end.

The last half mile or so was right along the beach and I kicked it right at the end and could not believe that the clock said 1:58. I have to thank my husband for putting that magic number in my head. I actually passed a bunch of people and that always makes you feel good considering I live in the land of giants and most people breeze by me with their long strides.


The weather could not have been more perfect. I didn't feel over heated or dehydrated. Only thing I wish I had were my sunglasses, there were a few really sunny areas.

Some things I did or I guess I should say didn't do before this race:

- I did not rest the day before. I did a fast 2 miles around my neighborhood before I left, then we walked around half the day shopping.
- I did not eat breakfast before the race. My stomach was so upset due to nerves that I could not eat anything without feeling sick so I just decided to go with it. I work out a lot at 4:30 am without eating so I wasn't too worried.
- I did drink a gatorade on the way to the starting line. This made me have to pee really bad right before the race started (which I held it th entire time). From then it was water/nuun in my hand held. I ate a few Power Bar Engery chews before the race and several throughout. My stomach never hurt once.

Not sure if any of the above had any bearing on my race but like I said, I felt strong the entire run and I'm darn proud of myself.

So glad my husband didn't leave me :)

If there's a chance that I'm not having a baby this time next year, I will run this race again for sure!

Some more pics from the race courtsey of my husband:

Finish Line

Sunrise at the finish line

Beautiful morning at the beach

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...